Thursday, November 17, 2011

My Adventures in Labrador (5)

As promised, serialized into bite-sized chunks, my summer adventure in Labrador, 1997...this is just as I remember it, but I don’t have any notes so it’s possible other people have other stories. This is mine and I’m sticking to it.
Helicopter pilots. It’s no secret I love helicopters and therefore, by association, I love their pilots. This might be why my hero, Daniel Fox was a helicopter pilot. The one day I did not love helicopter pilots was when we had this pilot we didn’t know. He had a beard and never smiled. I’d heard he really missed his family. So, depressed chopper pilot heading straight for a cliff. Straight for. I said my goodbyes before we swooped up and over. The really funny thing about this introverted guy was toward the end of the project when things quieted down, he started taking us out more and more. Because he didn’t have anywhere else to go he’d build a fire and chat away to us as we waded through the freezing depths of a Labrador river in September. We even let him and the other pilots fish for us. We were the prime group to go out with :)
Side note: the great thing about these low temperatures is the fact fish can’t swim so fast (think Q10s). Anyway, you could dip net 4-5 kg fish out of the water at that time of the year. It was brilliant. But cold.
The other pilots were a blast and I really enjoyed getting to know them. I got free rides, samples of Labradorite, invited to secret parties and card games and had a lot of fun. I did creep into one of the pilot’s bedrooms when he was asleep. It was Matt and I wasn’t by myself (sounds dodgy but wasn't). We reset his alarm in the vague hopes we wouldn’t have to get up at 5 AM, but unfortunately he always seemed to know. Sigh. I am not a 5 AM person.


That's a round-up of some of my adventures. I hope you read and enjoy EDGE OF SURVIVAL. I had fun revisiting such a wonderful place and sharing it with you guys.
I'm donating 15% of my royalties to diabetes research.


Available for pre-order from Carina Press, Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk and Barnes & Noble

Read an excerpt here

3 comments:

  1. Your adventures are so exciting,Toni. A pleasure to experience a bit of them vicariously and not have to go into cold water and rise at 5:00 am
    P.S. What is Labradorite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elise--I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a hoot to do.
    Here is a link for Labradorite. http://crystal-cure.com/labradorite.html
    Looking at the properties I should keep it on my desk :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL you know people that get up that early on a regular basis wake up with or with out an alarm, ask my mom and husband BLAH!!! 9 sounds good to me :-) LOL

    Thanks for all the sharing! I really have enjoyed reading your Adventures!

    ReplyDelete